Thursday, June 21, 2012

The one constant in life is Change!



It has been said that Change is the only thing you can count on in life.  There is so much truth in that.  It seems that as you get older, the changes come closer together.  It is hard losing the older generations in our family.  Soon we will be the older generation.  How did that happen?  All of my mother's ten siblings except one are gone now - and there are only my dad and three sisters left of their family of fourteen.  And several of our generation are gone now too.  Time is so fleeting and you cannot call it back.


This has been a hard year for my dad.  He lost his little sister Beanie (Berniece) right after Christmas, and my mom's sister Joyce who was like a little sis to him in May. They were all very close and lived just down the hall from each other in the same nursing home. Every evening you could find them playing a game of cards and talking of old times. All of our families have always been so close.  Now that both Beanie and Joyce are gone I know he is quite lonely.  But he takes it all in stride and finds ways to fill his life with fun and happy things.  He loves "the home" and all the wonderful people who work there. They are so good to him that he is quite spoiled by all of it...which he loves.  


Our oldest daughter has been able to come from California to visit both at Thanksgiving and at the beginning of this month. What fun weeks those were. She got to spend some quality time with all the family and for the first time ever was really able to connect with the little ones.  She is privileged to be the "favorite auntie" in our family and the kids all adore her.  I think everyone should have a favorite aunt.  I know I had one in my mom's youngest sister Joyce, who was like a second mother to me.  She passed away this May and I miss her sorely. 


She was in a terrible car accident in 1979 which left her paralyzed from the neck down.  She spend many weeks in the Craig hospital in Denver during her recovery and since we lived there at that time our children came to love her as if she were another grandmother.  She has been such a tremendous example of strength to our entire family.  Although she was never well after her accident she worked very hard to regain as much use of her body as possible.  She never complained and always had a smile and a kind word for everyone she met.  I never knew her to be cross or judgmental, but rather always loving and encouraging. When my mother passed away she was such a comfort to me and helped me so much through the grieving process.  I will miss her sweet smile and tender love so much.  Aunt Joyce I hope you know how special you were to this whole family and especially to me.  Such a reunion you must all be having on the other side.  Give my mama a hug from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment